3 Taiwanese chicken popcorn recipes for a great snack!
Taiwanese popcorn chicken- a street snack worth gobbling.
Taiwanese popcorn chicken must not be a word you hadn't heard before if you are a lover of Taiwanese food. Because Taiwanese popcorn chicken is a street snack which is found on the streets of Taiwan in its night markets. The popcorns are made with bite-sized chicken coated with flour and fried with the seasoning mixture.
So let us learn how to make these delicious Taiwanese popcorn chicken in the recipes given below.
Popcorn Chicken ( Taiwanese )-
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Additional time: 10 mins
Total time: 45 mins
Course: Appetizer, snacks
Yield: 4 servings
Gorging on these finger-licking chicken bites fried in a crispy batter flavoured with Chinese five-spice, ginger, soy sauce makes them extra delicious. These Taiwanese popcorn chicken get ready in 30 minutes and are just very hard to ignore.
- One and a half pounds boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- Half teaspoon rice vinegar
- One tablespoon soy sauce
- Two teaspoons grated ginger
- Two cloves garlic, finely chopped
- One teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- One egg
- One teaspoon salt
- Half teaspoon cayenne pepper
- One teaspoon ground white pepper
- One cup tempura batter mix, or as needed
- Four cups peanut oil for frying
- Two eaches green onions, chopped
- One bunch Thai basil, chopped
- One pinch salt
- One pinch ground white pepper
- Mix the chicken pieces, rice vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, white pepper, salt, five-spice powder and cayenne pepper in a bowl. Keep them marinated for 10 minutes.
- In a large saucepan add oil and let it heat to 400 degrees F.
- Crack an egg in a small bowl and whisk it smooth. On the other hand, pour the tempura batter in another bowl. First, add the chicken pieces into the egg mixture and then into the tempura batter. Remove the excess and add them in the frying pan. Fry them for 7-8 minutes till they are golden brown. Remove them in a paper towel for removing the excess oil.
- Top the Taiwanese chicken popcorn with green onions, basil, salt and white pepper.
524.3 calories; 35.8 g protein; 14.3 g carbohydrates; 162.8 mg cholesterol; 1057 mg sodium.
Recipe Notes- Use boneless chicken breasts instead of chicken thighs for making the popcorns.
Salt and pepper chicken-
These crunchy bite-sized pieces of chicken are quite addicting as they are sprinkled with a unique seasoning mix. Salt and pepper chicken is another name for Taiwanese popcorn chicken or crispy chicken. This snack is not only delicious but is not too oily or way too spicy, which makes it perfect for trying.
- Three boneless chicken thighs cut into bite-sized pieces
FOR THE MARINADE
- Two garlic cloves minced
- Two tablespoon soy sauce
- One tablespoon five-spice powder (see note)
- Half teaspoon sesame oil
- Half teaspoon Shaoxing cooking wine
- Half teaspoon white pepper powder
- One-eighth teaspoon black pepper powder
- Half teaspoon salt
- One eighth teaspoon sugar
- Fresh Thai basil leaves
- One cup of corn starch
- One egg whisked
- One tablespoon five-spice powder for dusting
- Oil for deep-frying
- Mix the chicken along with the ingredients of the marinade and coat it thoroughly. Let it sit for 30 minutes at least.
- Add oil in a wok for deep frying on medium-high heat. In a small bowl whisk an egg and in another bowl pour some corn starch. After the oil is hot enough for frying, coat the chicken pieces in the egg mixture and then in the corn starch. Shake off the excess and add the pieces in the wok. After frying them for 7-8 minutes, remove them on a paper towel.
- Add the five-spice powder over the chicken pieces with some fried basil leaves.
- Serve the Taiwanese chicken popcorn hot.
Oven-baked Taiwanese popcorn chicken-
For me, it is one of the best-fried chicken varieties which can give fierce competition to southern fried chicken or any other type. Even though this recipe involves baking, it tastes almost the same as the fried variety. So what are you waiting for? Do try this variety of Taiwanese popcorn chicken.
- Two cloves garlic, crushed
- One tablespoon soy sauce
- One tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- One teaspoon white pepper
- One tablespoon five spice
- Half lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cubed
- One teaspoon sugar
- Two tablespoon cornstarch
- Prepare a paste of sesame oil, garlic, five-spice, garlic powder, sugar and white pepper. Add the chicken into the pasta and mix till it is coated well. Let it marinate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven at 450 degrees F. Add the chicken in a zip lock bag and add one tablespoon of cornstarch in it and shake. Once again add one more tablespoon of cornstarch on it and stir well.
- Put a well-oiled rack on a baking sheet covered with aluminium foil. Put the pieces on the shelf and bake for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, flip the chicken and bake again for 5 minutes.
- Serve this version of Taiwanese popcorn chicken with rice and some fresh herbs.
We hope you liked the recipes of Taiwanese popcorn chicken that we presented in this blog, and you would try them at home. Till then, happy cooking!