How to make a diy avocado halloween costume? - The ultimate guide
We all know that avocado costumes are literally the best costumes ever created in the world. Why? Because it mixs two things really important :
- Avocados (aka the fruit of fertility)
- Halloween (aka the day of the dead)
And when it's almost Halloween and you still do not have any cool costumes to wear for this event, you are able with not that much materials to make a diy avocado costume.
But if you don't want to waste your time, you have another solution : get an avocado costume ready to be worn.
Also, because halloween is originally the day of the dead, it might be super interesting to read an halloween dark history. This story will make you feel the spooky ambiance of Halloween!
1ST STEP : GET THE MATERIALS FOR THE COSTUME
For this costume, you will need :
- A piece of cardboard of at least 50 x 30 centimeters that you can find on any Amazon / delivery package
- Paint :
- Light green / Yellow (for the avocado flesh)
- Dark green / Green (for extremities of the flesh)
- Black / Very dark green (for the borders)
- Brown (for the core)
- 2 Meters of cord (to attach the suit)
- Something that looks like a core (it can be a half cut foam balloon, a cardboard ball, a fruit painted brown, whatever you have!)
2ND STEP: CUT THE CARDBOARD PEAR SHAPED WITH CUTTER / SCISSORS
Here is the step that requires the greatest dexterity : well cut the cardboard in a pear shape. To do that, you should first of all take a felt and draw the design of your avocado on the cardboard.
LITTLE ADVICE :
If you prefer to have a costume with you belly as the core, make a round on the middle of the pear and cut it so your belly can go through. Don't forget to wear a brown t-shirt!
When you are done with the drawing, take you pair of scissors or your cutter and cut your cardboard
⚠️ WARNING ⚠️ : BE CAREFUL OF YOURSELF AND THE PEOPLE SURROUNDING WHEN HANDLING THE CUTTER
3RD STEP : PAINT THE AVOCADO
As you know avocados are green. Alright, but what type of green is the avocado flesh? Well, we recommend you to use two types of green colors :
- A light one (for the flesh),
- And a darker one (for the edges)
You can find green paint on internet or on the paint & furnishing shop nearest you.
LITTLE ADVICE :
Before starting to paint, draw a line 5 cm from the edge of the carton along the entire length of the border. This will be the delimitation between light green and dark green.
Then, let the cardboard dry for few minutes.
4TH STEP : THE CORE (empty or full)
Now, you have two choices for the core :
- I prefer to put half a ball and paint it as the core
- I prefer to have my belly as the core
FULL CORE OPTION :
Get a foam balloon / a ball of paper or whatever cut in half as the core,
Use some super glue to attach it on the cardboard,
Make some finishs with paint.
And you are done for this step!
EMPTY CORE OPTION :
Use the cutter to cut a round at the middle of the avocado, large enough to make your belly go through it,
Remove the cardboard,
Paint the edges,
And you're done!
5TH STEP : THE CORDS TO MAKE IT HOLD ON YOURSELF
This last step is the most delicate because it is the hardest step.
The easiest solution is the following :
- Make some holes to the four corners of the costume (top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right),
- Make the end of the cord go through one of them and make a solid knot with the edge,
- Make the other end go through the fully opposite hole (if it is the top right one, make the other end go through the bottom left hole),
- Leave a little bit of length behind the cardboard so you can put it on
Repeat these steps for the two other holes.
FINAL / BONUS STEP : GUARANTEE YOUR COSTUME TO FIT TO YOU!
Sometimes, it's a little bit hard to put the costume without making it fall or crease the cardboard.
This is why you can do this last step that will require a bit more cord.
While you are putting on the costume :
- Find two or four spots around only one leg on the costume, you will tight pretty strongly the costume on that leg (not on both legs because otherwise, the costume will be attached and you won't be able to walk)
- Cut 2 pieces cords long enough to pass behind your legs
- Ask someone to tight the costume and cut the remaining length of the cord
Now that your DIY avocado costume for Halloween is perfect, you can go to a disguise party or play trick or treats!
Actually avocados costumes are definitely more original than the usual witches, skeletons and other Frankenstein disguises. As well as everyone love guacamole and avocados, so everyone will be delighted to see you coming with this avo suit for sure!
Again, if you do not want to waste your time going through all these steps, you can still buy an avocado costume!